Quite agree. I too have recently been driven nuts with the limitations. A new set of
traps to an advanced directory system sounds good. Perhaps with a new 'CD' navigation
command. I suppose the old traps could be rewritten such that older software has
access to the new system to a path length of 36 characters. Does anyone know the history
of the 36 character limit. Was it a file name length limit set before directories came about?

Cheers
Malcolm

P Witte wrote:

Not quite. Ive always lobbied for an advanced new file system. Im now
prepared to accept something less ;)

The reason is order and sanity. Ive hit the path depth limit in trying to
arrange things the way I need to have them, and I rarely use directory names
of more than three of four letters. One letter is too limited.