Wolfgang Lenerz wrote:
--->> Finally, progs executed from memory (executable things) would
> probably not have a home directory, unless a facility is set up
> whereby a default home dir is set up for programs with a certain
> name.

Default could also be DATAD$ or whatever.

> - Via QPAC2. This would have to be changed to send the home dir
> name to the thing.

If it's easy enough to do no problem ;-)

> - Via other file managers (which ones?). They would have to be
> changed, too.

CueShell, which I have acquired the sources for but didn't have a look
at yet.

> If there are many of them, I might envisage creating
> a new trap (#3, D0 = $3F) which takes as parameter the
> name of a file & excutes it (this is a facility which
> I find sorely missing from the OS as such anyway).

Hm, the meaning of a Trap #3 depends on a specific device you've
opened, not a good choice IMO. But if you do use a #1 or #2 trap there
will be no way to maintain QDOS compatibility (not that I'm
particularly bothered by that, just mentioning it).

> Preliminary way the Thing could handle requests
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> ->> set the home dir name
>
> -- get the true job ID if passed as -1
> -- try to find this job ID in my list
> ----- if found, return with error
> ----- else, set up string (possibly reserve more mem in chunks of 512
> bytes)

As I said, I think if we/you are going ahead with this, I think it
should probably be a "current directory" functionality with functions
like "up one directory" and "change directory to x (absolute and
relative).
Or perhaps both? On other systems Applications get 2 things: a current
directory and the complete name of their EXE file.

> Some way must be devised to delete the filenames after a certain time.
> When the job is deleted?

Yes.

> Should the home dir name be deleted once it has been passed back to
> the job?

No.

> Should there be an explicit deletion?

No.

> Should there be a "normal" request for the home dir (doesn't delete
> it) and one where deletion is automatically done after passing the
> name to the job?

Don't see why (and as said, a "current directory" would have to be
present during the whole process anyway). We're talking about a few
bytes here.

Also something one should probably think about: should functions like
OPEN automatically use the "current directory" if no drive name is
given? Currently most commands default to DATAD$.

Or, speaking completely into the blue, what about a meta device like
DEV_ that uses dynamic paths instead of static ones? Something like
"home_MyDataFile"?

Marcel