On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:17:20 -0400, gwicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Don't forget Freddy V. may have sold the software, but that does not mean he is the copyright holder. I have said this many times before on this list. There are doubts about the copyright position of several of the ancilliary programs that formed part of the total Perfection package. When I enquired many years ago, no one was sure of the exact copyright status of Spellchecker, for example. If my memory serves me correctly when Turbo became PD permission had to be sought not just from Freddy V., but also the various authors,

It all depends on the agreements. If an author was acting as an "agent" (legalese of course) of DP then DP *IS* the copyright holder, unless their contract stated otherwise.

For example when it comes to Rich's software I do not hold any copyright over the pictures and sounds that I created nor the packaging of the software. Copyright for those was transfered to Rich when I agreed to the compensation scheme :-)

Similarily, Microsoft retains copyright of its software regardles of who is writing it.... (unless of course they steal it like Spyglass' software ;-) )

Ffibys

P.S. I am back ;-)
    • ... Derek Stewart
      • ... John Hall
        • ... Robert Newson
          • ... Jeremy Taffel
            • ... John Hall
          • ... Malcolm Cadman
            • ... Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος (Phoebus R. Dokos)
              • ... Malcolm Cadman
        • ... Dilwyn Jones
    • ... gwicks
      • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
      • ... Duncan Neithercut
    • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
  • ... Darren Branagh
  • ... Stuart Jones
    • ... Rich Mellor
    • ... Malcolm Cadman