On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:43:50 -0400, Darren Branagh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I can pick up a copy of PC World, Computer Shopper, PC Pro or any other PC
Magazine and find a pile of software (often once costing hundreds of pounds)
stuck to the front cover for the 4.99 cover price, and much of this is less
than 2-3 years of age. You usually find v.3 or whatever on the cover disc
with an offer to get the new v.4 inside at a reduced cost - yet here we are
debating the status of software that hasn't been sold at all, never mind
updated, for over a decade.

Why are people so reluctant to give this stuff away? There is no money in it
anymore. Just ask any trader :-)

One of course would argue that QL Software (and indeed DP software would classify since it never had significant problems) is so good that it doesn't need to be updated ;-)

As for the PC world, recapturing investment may not be that important... we are talking about economies of scale here....

Ffibys
        • ... Robert Newson
          • ... Jeremy Taffel
            • ... John Hall
          • ... Malcolm Cadman
            • ... Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος (Phoebus R. Dokos)
              • ... Malcolm Cadman
        • ... Dilwyn Jones
    • ... gwicks
      • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
      • ... Duncan Neithercut
    • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
  • ... Darren Branagh
  • ... Stuart Jones
    • ... Rich Mellor
    • ... Malcolm Cadman