Dilwyn Jones wrote:

One thing I need help on is on what appears to be a simple ASCII
compression scheme on some of the unix-sourced word lists. I'm
assuming they're from Unix systems because the end of line character
is only a linefeed, no carriage returns. I need to find out if the
following is a known standard or not:

After many words, there's a forward slash followed by single letters
indicating various word endings. Example: Abbreviate/DGNSX or ABBEY/MS

In some cases it's quite obvious that /S indicates plural or current
tense is valid, e.g. /S implies Abbreviates, /D implies Abbreviated,
although there's a certain amount of grammar dependency, e.g. PLAY/S
would mean that both PLAY and PLAYS are valid, but ABNOMALITY/S is
less easy because the plural is ABNORMALITIES.

I've no real idea, but I love a challenge...

It's obviously a code of some sort, but I don't think it's quite as you suspect:

abandon/DGS
abandonment
abase/DGS
abbey/MS
abbot/MS
Abbott
abbreviate/DGNSX

aberrate/NX

ability/MS
abject/PY
abjection/S
abjure/DGS
ablate/DGNSV
ablaze
able/RT
ablute/N

It's the 'R', 'M', 'X' etc that lead me to suspect that. I would suspect that each letter means something, just not a direct 'S' pluralises with 'S'.

Some of the listed words don't exist in my dictionaries (eg aberrate, ablute; though aberration and ablution both exist) - Concise Oxford Dictionary, and my American MW (Marion-Webster?) Dictionary.

From where did you get this list, and what's the file called? And do you have any idea of the original purpose of the list - ie what sort of app might have processed it?

They may give us something more to search if there is nobody who knows (which I suspect).