Found it. It is ispell (http://www.lasr.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell.html). Each letter is a code for prefixes and suffixes that are permitable in the given language - every language can have its own affix file to define what each letter means!

The file is a munched (ie condensed) file that is used by the spell checker. Expanding some of your entries would give a full dictionary, eg:

   abate/DGRS
   abbey/MS
   abbreviate/DGNSX
   abnomality/S
Slight snag cropped up at this point. I went back to where I got these from and there's no AFFix file, so I'll have to guess the code interpretation, which should be OK for English as they seem to be quite similar (no accents in most and only possessive apostrophe needing special flagging).

Right, this is interesting and should keep me out of mischief for a week or two! My 25,000 word list expanded to about 34,000 words with my preliminary stumbles in the dark...the info you gave should help me a lot, at least once I get past the Unixy terminology and write some code to extract the data from the .AFF files. One bit I'd missed was the fact it has (for example) -e flags where the last letter is to be dropped before adding the suffix.

Many thanks for your help.