Dilwyn Jones wrote:

One thing I need help on is on what appears to be a simple ASCII
compression scheme on some of the unix-sourced word lists. I'm
assuming they're from Unix systems because the end of line character
is only a linefeed, no carriage returns. I need to find out if the
following is a known standard or not:

After many words, there's a forward slash followed by single letters
indicating various word endings. Example: Abbreviate/DGNSX or ABBEY/MS

In some cases it's quite obvious that /S indicates plural or current
tense is valid, e.g. /S implies Abbreviates, /D implies Abbreviated,
although there's a certain amount of grammar dependency, e.g. PLAY/S
would mean that both PLAY and PLAYS are valid, but ABNOMALITY/S is
less easy because the plural is ABNORMALITIES.

I can of course go through the word list until I find all the
permutations, but if anyone already knows the scheme used, it would
help me enormously. I hate reinventing wheels!

Here's a short example text from one of the files:
I think I've found it:  ispell (http://www.htdig.org/dev/htdig-3.2/)

The man page looks promising.