Roy Wood wrote:
> Actually it is just this kind of thing which I started the 'Start
> Here'
> Series in QL Today for. If someone could write this up it would be a
> good addition to the series. Remember I did not intend to write the
> whole thing myself. I have been hoping that some other people would
> add
> articles more in their area of expertise.
Exactly.

Malcolm Cadman wrote:
> Once a user has the unzip program, this small basic program is
> useful
> for unzipping QL files. Without bothering with anything else, or
> having
> to know the unzip command syntax.
Little programs like this make it a lot easier for people who don't
know (and don't want/need to know) how to command-line-drive programs
like Unzip.

In terms of the sort of query I was raising, most people in this
situation seem to manage handling Unzip reasonably well, where people
seem to get stuck seems to be:

1. Getting the downloaded software to a QL, whether it be via floppy
disk, serial link or whatever.

2. Having downloaded Unzip onto a PC, how to get it onto a QL,
unpacked (without an existing copy of Unzip, the catch 22 situation)
even before you get to the point of unzipping something!

Jonathan Hudson has documented how to self-extract Unzip, even to the
point of explaining what to do when it stops half done as it does on
some systems.

As much as anything, what's needed is a really simple guide to:
(1) how to transfer files between Windows/DOS and QL disks
(2) step by step guide to downloading QL unzip, transferring it to QL,
self-extracting it for those without existing Unzip on their QL, and
how to set it up (since 99% of QL software out there seems to be
zipped).

(1) and (2) would address the kind of queries I was referring to, but
of course something more general would probably fit in with what Roy
was trying to achieve via his QL Today series.

The little suggestions I've received via this list and privately are
being gathered into a folder here and if nobody else comes up with
anything, I may in time put together a little something to help and
anybody hosting QL software download sites will be welcome to link to
it to help QL ers out there, as I'm sure the enquiries I'm getting are
from users who are somewhat isolated and have little contact with
other QLers (e.g. I had an email from Antartica recently, from a
member of British Antarctic Survey IIRC, who is using QemuLator on a
Mac down there during his 2 year spell of duty there). Needless to
say, I try to steer such people in the direction of Quanta, QL Today
and this mailing list to help them keep in contact with other QLers.

Without referring to anyone in particular, however much it gets said,
I'm still amazed at how often I'm told
people have unzipped my QL programs on a PC and then complain they
don't work quoting the "bad parameter" error. I guess the best way to
do this is to link from my home page to a page describing how to go
about the transfer process int he simplest possible terms.