> Finally the best way to unzip stuff, once you have the unzip program
> on
> the QL, is to use FileInfo II. A simple file command line and
> pointing
> FileInfo II at the unzip program will allow you to execute a zip
> file
> from Cueshell or QPAC 2 and have it unzip into the destination of
> your
> choice (I usually use RAM1_) I can send you a screen shot of how I
> have
> FileInfo II set up for this if you want, Dilwyn.
This will be too much for some users I'm afraid. I already have
FileInfo setup to point to unzip, though in my case I do this to get a
quick listing rather than extraction. A simple 4 or 5-line basic
program (see below) seems to be what most people appreciate as a first
step.

The target user (to answer to Tim's comment) is a person who downloads
zipped QL software off the net for the first time and can't figure out
how to get it to the QL, but has enough knowledge and confidence to
follow "get-you-started" instructions.

As far as I'm concerned, the easiest way is to copy short enough zip
files onto a PC format disk, use short enough filenames, and use
something like Discover or IBMdisk to copy it off the PC disk to a QL
floppy ro ramdisk or romdisq or whatever, then use QL unzip and
proceed from there. Snag is, need to get these QL transfer programs to
QL in the first place unless you already have a copy or able to get
one on QL
floppy.

What seems to go wrong for most people is the actual getting QL unzip
to a QL without physically receiving a copy on QL disk. You have to
download it from Jonathan's website, figure out
the above to get it to a QL, then figure out how to self-extract it
unless you already have a QL unzip. The easy way is get it on a QL
floppy from someone like me, but I can't really remember the last time
anyone asked for PD stuff on a floppy from me!

Don't forget, most of us on this list probably take unzip and disk
transfer in our stride. It's not funny for people doing it for the
first time!

In other words, treat it as being for someone fairly non-technical who
is
downloading QL software from the net for the first time, although I
usually find that with the right basic information, the majority of
people do manage rather better than I expected.

1. Most QL software on the net is downloaded in zipped format which
should be unzipped on a QL system of some type (i.e. don't unzip in
Windows or DOS and explain briefly why not - loss of QL executable
file header and dataspace on non-QL systems, usual sympton: program
gives "bad parameter" error on trying to exec it).

2. Copy of QL unzip needed. Where to get it from (Jonathan Hudson
website or Infozip.org mainly, sites like mine also carry copies, as
do PD libraries and some QL cover disks).

3. How to transfer files to QDOS/SMSQE system and the merits and
downsides of each option, e.g. cost of emulators, sizes of downloads,
ease of setup, Discover needs a free registration code, practicalities
of slow serial links etc etc. Options for transfer I can think of off
the top of my head are:

- use of PC floppies and disk transfer software running on QL (name
the programs - Discover, Multi-DOS, IBMdisk etc, how/where to get
them, etc)
- use of file transfer software running on a PC, such as QLtools and
wxqt2 (wxqt2 is a Jonathan Hudson program)
- use of QL emulators (QPC and DOS device, what QemuLator is able to
do, QLay needs to use special version of qltools software to transfer)
- SMSQ(E)'s ability to read both QL and DOS format floppy disks
- serial links (a good degree of info on this is available on my
website)
- any orther options I haven't thought of!

4. Once you've transferred the archived QDOS Unzip to QL system, how
to unpack it when you don't have an unzip (the Chicken and Egg
situation)! (i.e. explain Jonathan's
self-extract routines in simpler terms and what to do when it stops
halfway through self-extraction when you have to type in commands to
get it going again)

5. Warn about issues like needing Toolkit 2 and to ignore the warning
messages issued by some versions of unzip when you don't have Signal
Extensions installed. The one I usually forget to mention is that you
need expanded memory of course. Then you need to mention some programs
need PE and so on.

6. How to set up Unzip on your system and very brief and simple
examples of how to unzip programs - this little bit of superbasic is
the kind of thing I send to most people as the simplest way to handle
unzip at the most basic level:

10 input 'Where is unzip (drive name)?';unzip$
20 input 'unzip which zip file?';ip$
30 input 'unzip to which drive?';op$
40 ex unzip$&'unzip';'-d'&op$&' '&ip$

or 40 DATA_USE op$:EX unzip$&'unzip';ip$

I just ran through a simple transfer to ensure I'd broadly included
everything above and sure enough all sorts of small issues got flagged
up (I realised I'd left out step 5 for example). I'm sure you'll
understand what I mean. Keep it simple and fairly brief, or people
won't read it. Once people have got past the simplest of first
transfers their confidence and knowledge quickly builds up - what we
need is just the basic get-you-past-the-first-stage information.

I think the above is the simplest bare-bones approach, assuming the
user in question is not a PE user. PE users tend to have enough
knowledge to figure out most of the above for themeselves, less
technical/less experienced users tend not to be PE users, which rules
out some programs like multi-dos and Archivers Control Panel and Unzip
Librarian and the like.

Once the basic bare-bones guide is done, I'm sure the rest will follow
on. I think the problem is that it is not a one-stage hurdle for the
first-timer to overcome. They need enough minimum knowledge to handle
getting the download from one computer to another and how to acquire,
transfer, install and use Unzip.

I'm sure I'm talking down to most on this list, but believe me there
are plenty of people out there who need this information - I know from
the help requests I get!

Whoever ends up writing this (and I know if Tim takes up the challenge
he'll do a  good job like he's always done with his writings), I'm
more than happy to help in the sense
of looking at the article to see if it addresses everything asked in
the
common queries I get.

Back in my trader days (before email etc was this common!), I had some
little printed leaflets I sent off to people to explain things like
ramdisks, pointer environment, Quill printer drivers etc, all written
the early versions of the Documentation CD and I always got
surprisingly favourable comments on them and how they'd been so
helpful, I still get reminded about them at shows these days!

I'm quite pleased so many people have responded to this thread - thank
you
everyone. I'm off now before I get a Nasta-like reputation for long
emails!