----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Newson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] printer problem

> hitchies wrote:
>
>> Robert said -
>>
>> ...any suggestions how to clear (trying propan-2-ol seems to have had
>> little effect (other than to get one dot working for minimal time),
>> though
>> it does "collect" the other colours quite well - I dismantled the "head"
>> unit to get direct access to the jets...the C460 has a ...
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> The "Epsom [racing !] stylus Colour 460" is (I believe) 'NonDURAbrite'
>> inked.
>
> oops...typo...(well that's ny excuse).
>
> durabrite...is that the same as the coating that goes on Ally [coach]
> wheels
> so that you don't need to polish them to keep them shiny?
>
>> I've managed similar unblocking by sparingly using warm water with old
>> cartridges - until normal service was resumed (via invocation (!) of ROM
>> auto-head-cleaning routine).  ;)
>
> What technique do you mean?  Removing an bathing head in warm water, or
> injecting it into an old cartridge and installing that?
>
> (I've got a "black" page I use for testing and getting the printer to
> think
> the cartridge is empty by thinking it has printed all that ink).

    I successfully use Surgical Spirit (Obtainable from any chemist shop)
and a cotton bud to clear the jets on my HP printer. Alternatively, HP used
to provide strips of adhesive backed "velcro" type material which you stick
onto a "test page" provided using the software provided. It seems as though
the heads are cleaned by a "scrubbing" motion against the "velcro". - Sounds
as though it is ripping the printer to bits but the results are - so far -
100% effective. Usually the surgical spirit and cotton bud is sufficient to
clean the jets and provide a satisfactory test page.

John Gilpin.