Hey, nice one Norman!

Just downloaded and installed and it worked first time!

It's brilliantly simple to use and does a bit more than I expected. So
here goes for what I hope will be the first mini-review!

You can open multiple Quill DOC files (which can have extension DOC or
.DOC) in individual resizable windows. The document is formatted to
fit the window. Bold, Underline, Sub and Superscript are shown
(although on my 1024x768 screen the sub and super are a bit small to
read).

You can add to the formatting - just highlight the word or text you
want to change and click on Bold, Underline, Subscript or Superscript
(available from menus or via icons) as well as italics which are not
available in Quill of course. You can cut and paste.

It identifies Quill DOC files and must check the file preamble because
it doesn't get confused between Word and Quill .DOC files. It doesn't
load plain text files.

You can export the text to HTML, Docbook Xml, text, or PDF. A 4K DOC
file was output as a 20K PDF, 5K HTML, 3K plain text and 4K Docbook
XML. Not played enough with it yet to see how sizes of PDFs vary as
DOC file size increases. I'm used to Windoze programs adding file
extensions automatically, QStripper doesn't. Load MY.DOC, enter a name
of MY when exporting a PDF and you get a file called MY, not MY.PDF,
which would have made life a bit easier in Windoze I guess. I'll just
have to remember to enter the extension!

Tools menu seems not to be implemented yet - wonder what that will do!

The program always defaults to QStripper's own directory, even after

The website has brief instructions, but you may not need them. Just
remember to put the system support DLL files into the same directory
as QStripper and away you go - it can then be run like any other
Windoze program, except of course it's a QL-specific program in terms
of what it does, opening up Quill to the big wide world of PDF and
HTML!

For a first release, top marks. The only downside (as is so often the
case with Windoze programs) is having to download about 3MB of dll
files to run a program which is only about 7OK in length! 3MB takes
ages on dial-up, but as Norman says, you only have to download the
system support files (dll's for Windows) once, from then on whenever
the author updates the program, you only have to download the 70K or
so of program itself, making it more like a QL program in terms of
download size!

Norman says that in time there'll be a Linux version too.