----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Mellor" <>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Updated web site

>> Thanks Geoff - that's better - the site is an improvement, but alas being
> hosted on Lycos's free server is a pain - on Opera v9 and Internet
> Explorer 7 you get the Lycos Catcher bar (or whatever its called) at the
> top whihc has a pop down that obliterates the menu navigation - especially
> on help and advice.  I would personally also prefer the links to the
> various pages to stay the same (ie. don't remove the link to the page you
> are looking at).
>
> The more I try to use your site, the more I am put off using free webspace
> (sorry Geoff, no indication on your efforts, after all you don't earn much
> if anything from this site).  Would it be worth setting aside part of my
> rwapsoftware.co.uk website for your use?

I too find that pop-down advert annoying and bear that in  mind when
designing pages. The Google adverts I don't mind so much because we all use
Google free of charge, although Google is now getting a bad press. I have
always been impressed how quickly Google places relevant adverts.

Perhaps the most worrying feature of Lycos is an aggressive cookie policy.

For these reasons I keep meaning to move on, but I can never decide where.
And whenever I ask in the QL community I get so many different answers that
it confuses more than it helps.

The old site has been around since 2000 and was the first web page I ever
wrote. It was not bad for a first effort, but I have learnt a lot more since
then. I have been meaning to update the site for about 2 years now, but
could never find the time or inspiration.

One of the reasons for the update is that I think the trend is for the
commercial sector to become much less important for the survival of the QL,
and that the community will become more and more an internet based one. Many
of the significant software developments of the last 5 years have been
outside the commercial sector and I expect this trend to continue.

Best Wishes,

Geoff