Morning Marcel,

> Actually all 3 are free. But IE is pre-installed and most people have
> the "I know how to use it, I don't want to learn anything else"

True, I meant to type 'pre-installed' not 'free'. I have dyslexic fingers these
days - it must be age. :o(

> Personally I'd probably rather give up the internet than using
> IE for halve an hour, it's just a pain to use.

I know. Here at work we have just upgraded from IE5.5 to IE6. All the other
browsers are so far ahead it's hard to use such antiquated software. Mind you,
many of our systems here run via a browser and they have been written
specifically for IE5.5. They won't run on anything else. Luckily I have Firefox
installed on this PC so I can use that for everything and when I have to access
an application, switch to IE for that.

Regarding the percentages of people browsing a site with specific browsers -
beware, statistics lie. Many times I've had to reconfigure Firefox and Opera in
the past, to pretend to be IE so that I can view a web site. If I didn't, I
simply get 'your browser is not fit enough to view this site' - yeah right, and
IE is I suppose !

Thankfully, many web sites I use these days have little icons that say 'W3C
validated for HTML and CSS' (or words to that effect) and work better in non-IE
browsers because IE is far from standards compliant.

My web page at http://www.bountiful.demon.co.uk/qstripper.html, for example,
has  been written in standard compliant HTML and CSS (I hope!) and only IE
gives problems of the browsers I have tested. Mind you, Opera 9 has yet to be
tried out. I even decided to put a paragraph on the page to advise users of IE
that they might have problems. How times have changed eh ?

Enough ranting.

Cheers,
Norman.