In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dilwyn Jones
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>> We actually went metric on 1 July 1959 when:
>>
>>     The yard was redefined as 0.9144 metre /exactly/[1]
>> and
>>     The pound was redefined as 0.45359237 kilogram /exactly/
>>
>> ie the yard and pound since 01 July 1959 have been defined in
>> /exact/ terms
>> of the metre and kilogram - not exact multiples of 10 I grant you,
>> but
>> defined /exactly/ none-the-less.
>
>> Just I expect nobody noticed - like normal.

>Gone metric in 1959 and nearly 50 years later - hardly aybody's
>noticed. Sounds about right.
>
>So for about the next 40 to 50 years we carried on expecting a pint of
>milk, a pint of beer, filling station pumps deliver litres of petrol
>and we still think "miles per gallon", ask for a quarter of a pound of
>sweets or cooked meat in shops, road signs in miles or miles per hour,
>speedometers predominantly in mph.

The thing is that the English measuring system is all based around the
practical world of experience.

Some of examples that I can think of are the "inch" being the distance
of the thumb to the first joint.  The yard being a stride.

So that without any special references there is an everyday practicality
to all of it.

--
Malcolm Cadman