Wind....?

Cheers...Ralf
----- Original Message ----- From: "SMSQ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] sub-£100 notebook

Hi everybody,

I was able to use the Wind for a short while (Andrea bought one for
herself)...

Excellent machine: large display, harddisk, WinXP, Bluetooth, WLAN,
no noise and very fast.

QPC runs very well :-) And the resolution is fine for QPC.

For Windows programs, I miss more lines on the display (you have to
scroll a lot!) but Andrea says you get used to it.
She replaced her 17" (well working!) Acer laptop by the Wind...
weight and no noise are worth trading in the resolution for, she
says. She's missing the keypad,though... but that hardly fits into
THAT size ;-)

Jochen

Dilwyn Jones wrote:
After using the eeePC 701 for a while, I gave it up as too limiting for my purposes. The battery life is crap, the fan whirres incessantly because the thing produces far too much heat. It also seems stupid to put up with a 7" screen when the box is more like 10. So all in all, after the initial rush I find I need something a little more sophisticated to get by on the move whilst having a real PC at home. The 901 seems a lot more promising but theyre still flogging the inferior 900s here, so itll have to wait. On the other hand, a couple of hundred ££ more will get you a real sub notebook..

Hi Per,

I agree that the 701 is too limiting; this is why I favour the Acer Aspire with 120GB HD. It's £229, so still well within the cheap end of the spectrum (compared to £300+ for the 901/MSI Wind) and is very small and efficient.

Do try one. The 1024 x 600 resolution over the Eee 701's 800 x 480 is a massive advantage.

From what you've said, it seems that the cheaper systems aren't much good
for regular use.

What about someone like me who has an occasional need for a portable QL away from home, where weight and small size might be important?

Or would I be better off (even for occasional light use) to save my pennies and wait until I can afford a more expensive machine?

Or would you go as far as to say that I'd be better off with a traditional laptop PC?

--
Jochen Merz Software - Kaiser-Wilhelm-Str. 302 - D-47169 Duisburg
   Tel. +49-(0)203-502011      Fax +49-(0)203-502012