Am 23.03.2010 18:38, schrieb Tony Firshman:
Dilwyn Jones wrote: With the QL, I think the "win_" drive name came from "winchester", which
was a manufacturers name for hard drives ( not the rifles maker ? ).
Ah, of course, I'd forgotten about that. I knew about the name in connection with early hard disk drives, but never appreciated it in connection with the QL WIN drives.

.... and I bet no-one knows where the first Winchester rifles were made. At Windsor, Vermont very close (to almost bring back OT) to where Bill Cable lives!

Tony
Hi,
I seem to recall that the term "Winchester" actually stems from the city of Winchester, UK - IBM had their first HD factory there.

Long gone, however.....

Cheers
Tobias