In message <4c17fed1.9080...@qbranch.demon.co.uk>, Roy Wood <qbra...@qbranch.demon.co.uk> writes

On 15/06/2010 21:58, Malcolm Cadman wrote:
<SNIP>
There is an audience for retro computers - of which the QL is one.

A software package, or easy access to free or low cost software, would be essential to tempt users in. As they need to see something to be done with the system - and will not be interested in finding it all out for themselves.

Once interest is kindled, then users will get interested in acquiring original hardware and original add-ons, as well as using the emulator(s) on PC hardware ( or others ).

Most users, on this list, are not a part of this target market - as most already have several QL hardware items, and a lot of software; plus long experience.

The latter need tempting in a different way, by some new hardware or software, for the 21st Century - as the QL was a 20th Century invention.

I have QDT, which I use all of the time as the main "desktop" for a QL system. Yet it is not finished - the file manager side is not complete; and it lacks a lot of other "functionality".

I also use Launchpad to compensate for QDT's deficiencies in the file management area.

Both Quanta and QL Today could be involved in this type of promotion of the QL.
OK - head above the parapet again and , to quote Sir Henry, 'first chink of reality and youre dead'

I spent a lot of time, enthusiasm and energy on the QL (not as much as Tony, Dilwyn and Jochen, but enough). The approach of saying 'here is a free emulator, now look at what we have' is fine except.......what do we have?

The QL was a business computer in concept. Very few games of any note. Right now, as was pointed out earlier, there is no decent word processor and no other, modern, usable, software. QPC2 runs just fine on my W7 machine, but why would I use it? If I was a new user what would make me want to buy it and run it?

On my W7 and XP machines I run music software, word processing and spreadsheets, email, photo manipulation and website creation software. What is there on the QL side of things that matches this? The QL was fun to program in SuperBASIC ( I never got any further) and, back 18 years ago, would multitask when most PCs could not (nor can the iPAD), but it was rapidly overtaken by modern hardware and software.

What I was saying before still applies. If you want to keep it alive you need to keep the scene alive. You need innovation and you need some sort of commercial operation. I know that there are a whole bumch of 'free software' guerillas out there but no free software has ever matched the commercial stuff - sad as that may be.

I will never abandon it completely because it taught me a lot of the fundamental principles of computing. I have a lot of affection for it and for many of the people in the QL community because we did all those shows and we went through all that but you have to take off the rose tinted goggles and take a hard look at what you are promoting - and then decide what you do from here.

Hi Roy,

I am glad that you are back on the QL scene - we need some good debate ... :-)

Rich Mellor has pointed out, several times, how successful other retro computers are now being ( a new life ).

The QL can be the same - although to a smaller segment - and again Rich has shown the way with his creation of the QL Wiki. Which has also included bringing out the games that are available for the QL.

--
Malcolm Cadman