On 17/06/2010 21:51, Norman Dunbar wrote:
I am typing this in Thunderbird (which I don't really like
but Turnpike, which dealt with these lists much better, will not run on
W7.
Funnily enough, I never got to grips with Turnpike when I first started
up with Demon. Thunderbird has been my email client of choice since it
came out. I do admit to problem with version 3 and those damned "smart"
folders (a bit like Word's Smart quotes in a way, neither of them are
smart in the slightest!). Tony had similar troubles until I told him how
to get back to normal folders. (Click the<  or>  arrows on the first tab
until the caption says "all folders" - job done!)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that TBird doesn't handle these
lists very well, mine is fine - I view the lists threaded and in
descending date order. Works fine.

It was the threading that I was referring to. Turnpike would put thum into subject threads but Thunderbird just puts them in a long, jumbled, list - just like Outlook! Oh and 'Reply' and 'Reply to list do the same thing. Maybe I have not set it up right but I don;t log on here much - except this week.
I have not found how to turn on the speal chucker which is a pain
because I can't type fro toefef - there see what I mean ?
I have a similar problem. But even after about 30 years in IT, I still
look at the keys when I'm typing, not the screen.

For spell chequeing, there's a button at the top of the "write" window
that spell cheques the selection or the entire email.

To spell as you type, edit->preferences (on Linux anyway - mayne
tools->options on Windows) then Composition, spelling tab and tick the
"enable spell checking as you type".
That is ticked but does nothing. Also, if you check th ebox that says 'check spelling before sending you get an empty box when you try to send which says ;check word' but has no word in it.
Free software is like that too sometimes,
I slightly disagree this time! Most free software is done when it's
done. The bells and whistles of, say Word's "ribbon" add little to the
functionality of the application. Free word processors don't tend to go
for the fancy look and feel, over and above what is necessary. In most cases!
Now, funnily enough, I was discussing this last night with 6 people in the Dive Club because they all had various IT problems. All but 1 said they found the ribbon to be a far better way of accessing the functions (as do I) than the old menus system. I was ahead because, having come from a HOT_KEY enviroment I learnt the keyboard shortcuts. always amused me when you press 'CONTROL/V' and text appears and then PC dummies go 'How did you do that?'
but very often it stops when the author thinks
it should  - not the user. The other aspects of commercial software are
that it gets more advertising because someone is trying to sell it and,
if it sells well it gets updated and improved because there is the
feedback loop of getting a bit of cash for what you do.
True, but see above under Marketing.
But also think usability. Jonathan Hudson wrote some great programs but no front ends so few people used them. They were not marketed so fewer people knew they existed.
In my view it
all ground to a halt when there were no more new commercial programs. If
there is no money coming back you can't afford to go to foriegn or far
away shows so no shows so.....another, less pleasant, feedback loop.
Well, I only ever made enough money out of the QL to raise my tax levels
by about £20 quid a year. That was at the height of "my" popularity.
It was more a case of making a smaller loss!
Sold with a suite of office oriented programs and more
expensive than the spectrums of the time it was aimed at the business
user more than the gamer.
Exactly, and it was not really of much use business wise.

To be fair, about as much use as any other computer of its time - once it was finished that is. It just did not grow (or get marketed) as fast as the other machines.
Must get back behind taht
parapet. Still it has been a lively discussion.
Well, I for one have certainly enjoyed it! Thanks.

There you could not resist replying again - even though I have just driven back from a songwriting session in London.

--
Roy Wood