On 18/06/10 00:42, Roy Wood wrote:
> It was the threading that I was referring to. Turnpike would put thum
> into subject threads but Thunderbird  just puts them in a long,
> jumbled,  list - just like Outlook!
Well, mine are threaded, by subject, threads start with the initial
posting and new stuff is added in date order, beneath.

> Oh and 'Reply' and 'Reply to list do
> the  same thing. Maybe I have not set it up right but I don;t log on
> here much - except this week.
Reply replies to the sender. Reply to List replies to a list or
newsgroup. In the case of this list, the sender and the list are one and
the same. In the case of the Oracle-L list I subscribe to, reply to
sender send the email back to the poster and not to the list, reply to
list does the opposite - oracle-l gets it, not the OP. (Well, the OP
gets it from the list but not directly from me.)

It's not you and not TBird that is at fault, it's simply the fact that
the sender is the list in this case.

> That is ticked but does nothing. Also, if you check th ebox that says
> 'check spelling before sending you get an empty box when you try to send
> which says ;check word' but has no word in it.
Tony on the Mac has a similar problem. I'm on Linux and I don't have
either of the problems you mention. We are both on 3.0.4. I presume you
are on Windows 7 and the same version? Funny how Linux is the only one
that works.

>> Free software is like that too sometimes,
I agree. Mind you, commercial software is just as bad.

> Now, funnily enough, I was discussing this last night with 6 people in
> the Dive Club
BSAC or PADI? I'm an old BSAC myself.

>  because they all had various IT problems. All but 1 said
> they found the ribbon to be a far better way of accessing the functions
> (as do I) than the old menus system.
I have to admit I tried it for a week a while back and hated it. Not
just because it was different, just because it seems to take up an
inordinate amount of screen space!

>  I  was ahead because, having come
> from a HOT_KEY enviroment I learnt the keyboard shortcuts. always amused
> me when you press 'CONTROL/V' and text appears and then PC dummies go
> 'How did you do that?'
I use quite a few shortcuts myself too. It saves having to reach for the
mouse, click, then type, then mouse, then .....

> But also think usability. Jonathan Hudson wrote some great programs but
> no front ends so few people used them. They were not marketed so fewer
> people knew they existed.
I have to admit to using a couple of JH's programs and it was true,
there were no bells and frills. He was the master of minimalist
programming I think. Not in the apps themselves, just in the frills
department.

I only occasionally heard of them though and that's when I got around to
trying them out. They were never advertised at all as far as I remember.

<SNIP>

> There you could not resist replying again - even though I have just
> driven back from a songwriting session in London.
Now you have my full admiration there Roy. I do admire people who have
talent - music, crafts or whatever. I have very little I'm afraid. I can
play my digeridoo (now that gave the spell checker a headache!) as long
as I don't have to circular breathe - I have yet to master that little
nicety. Good luck with the songs.

Cheers,
Norman.