Am Samstag, den 21.05.2011, 14:23 +0200 schrieb Miguel Angel Rodriguez
Jodar:

> El 20/05/2011 19:37, Urs Koenig (QL) escribió:
>
> > @Miguel (Angel Rodriguez Jodar): Any news?
>
> Hi! I've made some improvements to the SPI code, so it works very reliable
> for
> all SD cards (not SD-HC) I've got at home. Currently I'm studing the inners
> of
> QDOS and learning how to write a directory device driver (I'm new to the
> QDOS/SMSQ world).
>
> Using the Retro-X software ans dome custom C code, I've been able to make
> longer
> "QL movies". Some days ago I copied a whole Big Bang Theory episode into an
> SD
> card and replayed from my QL :)
>
> In the meantime, I've received a batch of more than 50 small flash EPROM
> chips
> (PLCC32). Half the size of a regular DIP EPROM, flash, not UV, and 128K size.
> Being flash means that I can offer an option to let the user burn a new
> firmware
> version. As they are 128K insize (eight times the size I really need), I can
> have a "fail safe" option, suitable for recover from broken firmware.
>
> My roadmap is:
> - To have a design that let me operate a SD/MMC card from the ROM port (done!)
> - To have a reliable and consistent set of low level routines for SPI
> operations
> (done!)
> - Write a small device driver (not a directory device driver) to train
> myself.
> This device driver will use the SD card as a charactger device (in progress).
> - Continue learning about QDOS/SMSQ and directory device drivers (I have the
> source code of QUBIDE driver to assist me, and a book recomended by Rich
> Melchor)
> - Hopefully, have a firmware that let me use the SD card as drive MMC1, MMC2,
> etc.
> - Improve the design to acommodate a flash EPROM. Add the necesary logic into
> the CPLD to let the user burn new firmware inside this flash.
> - As this will mean I have to use a bigger CPLD (the current one is a
> XC9572XL-PLCC44, with all pins used), I probably add logic into it to control
> the SPI clock speed, so the initialization sequence will be consistent to the
> SD
> specification. I'm thinking of connecting the rest of the SD pins so it would
> be
> possible in a future to use the SD native mode transfer (4x faster) and
> support
> SD-HC cards. Currently, the speed obtained is fast enough to serve data to a
> MC68008 at its maximum speed (is there anything faster than 128 instructions
> move.l (a1),(a0)+ to copy 512 bytes from the SD card to memory? )
> - Betatesting phase.
> - Available to the public

Hi,
this is actually a very interesting project. Expanding the QL with an
SPI implementation could really open up a bunch of possible extensions ,
like communication to AVR microcontollers or even Ethernet.
Some questions (I did read through the forum thread, but could not
really find something:
- How is the communication designed (especially, how did you implement
write access) to the ROM port?
- You seem to be planning to use a larger CPLD, could you add some
select lines to implement more than one device on SPI?

Cheers,
Tobias