On 03/08/11 11:59, Dilwyn Jones wrote:

Interestingly they proudly proclaim they are adequately
funded and refuse to take advance orders until they can ship the device!
I believe Eben used to work for Sinclair? Maybe he's remembering those days! ;-)

There's a picture of a prototype unit running Ubuntu linux 9.04 at
http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=11 the only thing is that as the RPi
is so small, it's dwarfed by the keyboard, usb hub, even the mouse and
all the cables. Hmm, back to the mess of cables hanging off my 1980s QL
again :-(
Nostalgia - it's not what it used to be! ;-)

Going on the assumption that it is a $20 / £15 device, what else is
needed to turn it into a usable computer. Off the top of my head I'd list:
- Monitor
It comes with an HDMI interface to plug into a TV.

- Mouse (USB?)
- Keyboard (USB?)
Yes, these are expected to be USB, probably on a hub.

- As it only has 128MB or 256MB RAM, some external hard disk or flash
memory (USB)
- wifi or network lead (via USB?)
I'm led to believe that the B model has ethernet onboard. There is no Wifi as yet.

- camera for video calls.
I'm sure there's a photo of a B model with a camera module on board ...

The possibilities seem endless...
Bingo. This is what will make it a success (I sincerely hope) unless the "youth of today" are too far down the road of "everything on my phone for free" to be rescued from never having to do stuff for themselves. (Who's an old git then?)

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar