Hi Dilwyn,

On 23/08/11 13:07, Dilwyn Jones wrote:
I have got it to run now in "one-off" mode. Ensure your user account is
Administrator.
Oh dear! Ensure your account has admin rights then open an HTML email. Oops, it had a payload and now your user is letting some scumbag run your PC as a zombie!

You *never* run with admin rights, except when doing admin stuff. This is what Roy Wood absolutely hated about Linux - why have a root user as well as my own when it's "my" PC?

The answer is security - and Windows has none. Or, at best, very little. Even at version 7.

Right click on the QL2K.EXE or QL2K-x64.EXE file, it says
the file originated on another computer (or some message like that) and
it is BLOCKED. Click on UNBLOCK, it will now run. But next time you
start the program, it is BLOCKED again.
Yes, this is UAC at its finest. Turn it off. And don't run your account as an administrator.

If you are logged in as you and need to do admin things, right-click and run as administrator, but never login to an admin session, unless you have absolutely no choice.

Someone kindly sent me a known working version from their 64-bit Program
Files folder. I tried this and got exactly the same results, so there is
definitely a setting on this machine that ensures the program is
BLOCKED. I have run a virus check on it, nothing detected.
No, it's Windows! ;-)
Turn off UAC.

People like Norman might expect a rant from me about Windows 7, but
don't fall off your Linux box, Norman, I am going to make an earth
shattering announcement: _*I like Windows 7*_. [Distant sound of a crash
from the Dunbar IT office]
Not really! I know lots of people who like Windows 7, when you compare it with Vista it has everything going for it.

When you compare it with Linux, it's old hat! Already!

Yes, it will take me a while to get used to the differences (e.g. the
START menu), but this computer is so much more stable and crash-free
than the old XP PC.
I agree, Windows 7 is much better than XP. (Sound of crash from the Dilwyn office there?) ;-)

... If I find a definitive answer (e.g. Jimmy has ideas on what
happened) I'll make sure I document it somewhere for everyone's benefit.
Turn off UAC! ;-)

Cheers,
Norm.

--