On Jan 17, at 12:17 | Jan17, Antonio Giusa wrote:

> On 17/gen/2012, at 12:13, Rich Mellor wrote:
>>

>> The SPEM keyboard interface is also interesting - would be nice to get some
>> photos of this for the QL WIki - does it plug into the ROM port?
>>

> The SPEM keyboard has no interface. It plugs directly in the existing
> keyboard connector of the QL motherboard, via a multiwire flat cable and a
> custom made adaptor (reproducing the edges of the original membrane's flat
> cables).
It was a very bad keyboard.

The *only* good things about it were the the look and feel.

It suffered from keybounce. They produced a replacement chip for the 8049.
That did cure keybounce but broke the serial ports.  Hermes fixed both.

Once the thin pcbs had been plugged into the QL, the connectors did not work
with membranes.

The pcb used evaporated 'gold' for the key contacts.  This oxidised and gave
intermittent faults.

I repaired many of these, and it was very very hard to disassemble/re-assemble.

Avoid them!

Tony

--
      t...@firshman.co.uk     http://firshman.co.uk
Voice: +44(0)1442-828254 Fax: +44(0)1442-828255 Skype: tonyfirshman