On 19 Apr 2012, at 15:10, Malcolm Cadman <q...@mcad.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <4f8fe256.8070...@newlan.org>, Bryan Horstmann <b...@newlan.org>
> writes
>
> Hi Bryan,
>
> Yes, every computer language has its own way of doing things, hence the
> variety.
>
> Python seems to be in the middle ground, where it has features like the more
> complex C/C++ and Pascal, etc, and yet you do not have to all of that endless
> 'compiling' to see a result.
>
> So like all the BASICS, it is interpreted as it is run.
Not quite the same.  Yes- superBasic runs uncompiled but errors only show when
they are encountered.
Python  (and perl - my preference) compiles first, syntax errors show then and
it stops with error display - often wildly confusing if things lke closing
quotes (or a dreaded ';' in Perl) is missed. Only if it compiles does it run
the program.

> One of the aims of the Pi, is to encourage programming, again, to users and
> especially younger users. To see a quick result.
>
> It will be interesting to see whether this happens, and which computer
> languages actually then get used.

One of the really great features of python is no {} structure or semi-colons -
it relies on indenting. This imposes good layout, which I in fact always
attempt in perl ( and C).

I always thought it was a pity superBasic demanded line numbers. They were not
actually necessary, and if GOTO did not exist, not even used.

Tony

--
    t...@firshman.co.uk        http://firshman.co.uk
Voice: +44 (0) 1442 828254      Fax: +44 (0) 1442 828255. Skype: tony firshman