Wolfgang wrote:

>> It was just an example. Lets say I want to use MAC software. Under Q60
>> Linux it can run native and fast (because of the 68060), but on PC Linux I
>> need to emulate a MACs CPU so I lose 95% of the speed.
>
>A rather bad example, because I could say the same for PC
>programs

Of course. I just wanted to show that even under Linux it can be an
advantage to have a 68060, if it fits your application. Of course if you
want PC software, a PC hardware is your number 1 choice.

>I still believe that QPC and the Q40 have their own places in the QL
>world. I wuld agree with you that buying a PC "only" to run SMSQ
>on QPC is not a hot idea. I fyou "only" want to run QL software,
>buy a QL machine - but nowadays, are there really any people who
>only use QLs? (I'd be delighted to learn that thre are!)

There are, and I know several. For obvious reasons they are on this list.

But who says that you must give up your PC if you want the speed of a Q40
or Q60. There are keyboard/mouse/screen switch boxes to help switching
between a real QL and a real PC. Many people have more than one computer.

Peter