On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:38:48PM +0100, Thierry Godefroy wrote:

> > > I already explained on this list how to circumvent this problem under
> > > SMSQ/E. In fact, with my "trick", you can use up to 32765 characters
> > > (QDOS string limit) per path+filename. This should hopefully be enough,
> > > even in a far future...  ;-)
> >
> > agreed, and I will patch QDOS and Minerva to allow for this trick.
>
> Beware, that I did not told everything about my trick (because the message
> was already too long for my taste ;-)
>
> You must also ensure that a new open call on an already open file DOES NOT
> reuse the existing channel definition block (something the IOSS does auto-
> matically): this can easily be done by putting "random" characters as the
> last (say the last 4) characters of the truncated filename (the one which
> will get passed to the IOSS during directory device driver scanning)...

it seems that your idea is a bit different than mine. If you use the non-dir
device driver interface than you don't have any "filename" in the cdb and
IOSS will never touch it except for the first 14 bytes. It will neither reuse
anything and the filesystem driver will be left completely unsupported with
all the work like recognising files already open - which may be a good thing
in the end.

> > > If you are making allusion to the file naming conventions (such as the
> > > directory separator which is "_" in current QDOS/SMS filesystems), they
> > > are just that: conventions !  The CDROM device driver will accept both
> > > "/" (natively) and "_" (for backward compatibility) separators...
> >
> > "_" is still a problem when the rules whether it can be part of
> > filenames are rather complicated.
>
> Complicated but possible (I already got a few different algorithms in mind
> to solve this issue, the problem will be to find the fastest one).
>
> Let's say that you want to open "My_File" into the sub-directory
> "My_Directory" of "cdr1_"; with my device driver, you will be able to pass
> either cdr1_My_Directory/My_File (UNIX naming conventions, excepted for the
> device name) or cdr1_My_Directory_My_File.

this is how it works in UQLX filesystems (hostfs+XQVFS. It breaks (or becomes
ugly) when you try to support SMSQ-style subdirectory creation. Create the
subdir cdr1_My_Directory_My and you have automatically renamded the file.

> Not for DV3 device drivers if you choose so... The limit is then 80 chars.
> The problem being the lack of _publicly_available_ documentation about DV3:
> this precludes any open source software to use it...  :-(

No idea what kind of DV3 you are speaking about. The SMSQ drivers I have
seen are limited to 36 because of their layout on storage devices. The
QDOS/SMSQ traps still behave the same old way for compatibility reasons.
If there is some framework inbetween that might in theory support 80 chars
than it is just vapourware.

> [additional SMSQ/E modules]
> > Btw, if you want to modify the MMU setup sequence in SMSQ how do
> > you do that?
>
> I did not check for this (and do not have any QDOS/SMS doc with me here,
> in Indian Ocean), but I suppose it is possible to replace the initialisation
> module of SMSQ/E (this would have to be done on another QDOS/SMS system of
> course...) ?

Yes it is, when you have all the other SMSQ modules.

Bye
Richard