On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:00:33PM +0100, Thierry Godefroy wrote:

> I don't use the non-directory device driver IOT implement the CDROM device
> driver (which will indeed be a "legal" SMSQ/E directory device driver): I use
> a FAKE non-directory device driver so to intercept the long filename, store
> its address in a safe place for later use by the actual directory device
> driver (here, the CDROM one), and then replace it (changing the address
> passed by and back to the IOSS in A0) by a truncated filename;

this seems slightly risky to me; the fact that QDOS/SMSQ did never save/
restore A0 when calling the driver open routine is no guarantee this will
stay so forever. You are depending on undocumented behaviour.. I don't
have a good feeling in this particular case.

> done the "fake" device driver reports a failure to recognize his device (in
> fact it got no device name at all) and then the IOSS scanning for the proper
> device driver may continue with the truncated filename... As a result a
> directory device driver channel definition block WILL be setup (with the
> truncated filename in it, thus the need for the "random" characters at the
> end of it)...

why this complication? The IOSS will be of very little help for you, all
"facilites" it provides are usefull only for very limited filesystems
like the original MDV one. Instead it limits unnecessarily 'key' and
uses valuable drive definition blocks which are still very limited
resource.
You get the mangled display of filenames in QPAC channels menu but this
can be only an intermediate solution, anyway clean methods have to be
defined to get the name of open channels (if it is regarded usefull
enough feature).

Bye
Richard