On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 12:57:12 -0500, "ZN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/6/02 at 7:32 AM Thierry Godefroy wrote:
>
> [PCI on the QL]
>
> >> the problems are QDOS specific...
> >> ...Not many people around who have the thorough knowledge about the
> >> hardware and software to write more complicated drivers.
>
> >True, but knowledge can be acquired by anyone, the problem being the time
> >needed to do so... Note that most of the knowledge to acquire is NOT
> >QDOS/SMS specific, whatever driver you are going to implement on whatever
> >plateform, you need to learn about protocols, standards, etc...
> .../...
>
> Thierry made several good points. Of course, many will not find them as
> valid if they come from a standpoint of modifying an existing driver (and
> recompiling it for a speciffic platform) rather than building one from
> scratch.

Note that for the CDROM device driver, I did consider to adapt Linux
sources. But while digging into the Linux sources, I quickly understood
that this would lead nowhere...

> The way things are done under SMSQDOS (assuming you have divined
> this 'from the source' :-) ) actually makes attempts at converting existing
> drivers (unless they already come from SMSQDOS) quite unproductive.

This is EXACTLY what I finally concluded in the CDROM driver case...
Therefore the only sensible approach was to write everything from
scratch with the actual ATA/ATAPI/ISO specs as the reference.

.../...
> >The problem is rather the lack of professional programmers that could
> >actually work full time on QDOS/SMS...  TT is not the only man that
> >can write device drivers or OS extensions for QDOS/SMS, there are still
> >talented programmers around, but none of them are able to spent signifi-
> >cative time (i.e. a few months - full time) on QDOS/SMS software
> >development...
> >Now, with some good motivation, most of these programmers will be ready
> >to "sacrify" significant part of their free time to do some software
> >development.
>
> The equation is very different if a huge potrion of that time, or even MORE
> than that time is needed to first reverse-engineer code. Doing that is far
> more time consuming than actually writing working code.

Exactly !  It is rather painful to have to reinvent the wheel everytime
(this is the reason that made me decide to make the ATAPI/CDROM things
sources open: at least if my method of implementing a driver works, then
someone else will be able to use it in another device driver).

> In light of the comments regarding access to SMSQ/E source code, it begs
> the question: what would it take to BUY the source code from Tony Tebby?

A lot of money I guess !   ;-)

> Or, some kind of licencing agreement that would effectively have the code
> in the open but with someone as the 'code cuistodian' - i.e. it would not
> be freely distributable, rather under something liek a GPL.

I really don't think TT would be ready to GPLize his OS !  By GPLing a
source, you loose all control on what it will become (for the best or
for the worst). This is why I choosed the "Artistic license" for the
ATAPI/CDROM things: at least I can keep some control on what the code
becomes...

> > New hardware (INCLUDING UNSUPPORTED ONE under QDOS/SMS) is a very good
> > motivation as far as I am concerned... IF a new 680x0 board with PCI
> > bus is built, then I could well find enough motivation to write a bus
> > initializer for it...
>
> Which, of course would be the first 1% of the job since something has to be
> plugged into it, and that's when all the fun begins :-)

Yes, but I like to have "fun" !  :-)

> >The old debate "should software be designed before hardware ?" is a
> >nonsense to me: IF there is hardware I can test software on, THEN I
> >can write software for it.
>
> Actually, it's a kind of chicken and egg argument. For some hardware to
> actually start doing ANYTHING usefull it has to be initialized.
> .../..

OK, but to test hardware you do not need a full functional OS !  Your
bootstrapping code may therefore be more crude... Once it is possible
to bootstrap some code, then the actual and definitive initializers/
drivers development may start...

QDOS/SMS forever !

Thierry.