In a message dated 07/03/2004 16:57:08 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
No this is not a spam that has crept into the list, and I am not setting up
a scam to fleece QL users of all their money (tempting though the latter
is!).

It is a little quiet on the list at the moment, so a little question for
discussion. This is a theoretical question asked with a serious intention.

If a sum of about £1,000 were to become structurally available for QL
development each year, how should we use it?

The sort of thing I am thinking of, for example, is paying someone to write
the filters that would let us use Windows only printers with QPC.

Geoff Wicks
I agree this would be nice - I have mentioned it previously, but we seem to be barking up the wrong tree to some extent when it comes to using Windows only printers.  A filter between QPC2 and the Windows printer driver is really not of any use to the general QL public, as it will not work with original QLs or with the Q40/Q60.

Simon Goodwin mentioned in the last QL Today that there are plenty of compatible printers out there, as Linux faces a similar problem - however, I checked the link to the website he mentions (www.linuxprinting.org) and cannot find any information on compatible printers - just details of a Windows like printer driver written for Linux... (now could this be converted to the QL??)

My theory (where are PROGS when you need them) is that the drivers actually already exist in the main on the QL - in the form of ProWeSs drivers.  Surely all we need is an interface to trap standard text output (say in EPSON printer driver form to a PWS device instead of PAR) and convert this to the form expected by the ProWeSs drivers.

Is this feasible ??

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

Stuck with ordinary dial up internet connection ??
Read our review of internet accelerators and broadband at: