In a message dated 08/03/2004 02:34:19 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Simon Goodwin mentioned in the last QL Today that there are plenty of
> compatible printers out there, as Linux faces a similar problem

Either this was not in QL Today or I really have missed something here.

Yes you have - what an excellent little publication QL Today is - maybe you should read it hee hee !! Vol 8 Iss 5 p36

> - however, I checked the link to the website he mentions
> (_www.linuxprinting.org_ (http://www.linuxprinting.org) ) and cannot
> find any information on compatible printers - just details of a
> Windows like printer driver written for Linux... (now could this be
> converted to the QL??)

These drivers are integrated into Ghostscript, which needs Postscript as
an input (yes, that old saga).

Probably one could write a different frontend for the drivers, but I
don't know how difficult that would be (my gut says that I shouldn't
touch that task with a 10ft long pole). And even then you still need to
a) alter existing applications according to the new interface or b)
provide a virtual Epson printer or whatever.
Agreed - this would probably be a pain in the butt

> My theory (where are PROGS when you need them) is that the drivers
> actually already exist in the main on the QL - in the form of ProWeSs
> drivers.

ProForma (which really was much ahead of its time) features some drivers
but the last one was written ages ago and therefore it will probably
have the same problems with current printers.
Yes, in part - the last driver was the ESC/P2 driver written by me, which supports 720dpi (never did get 1440 dpi to work).

However, as all output is sent by ProForma as a graphics dump (only) direct to the printer port, this is exactly what Windows does - the problem with most modern printers is that they lack the commands to control text sent directly to the printer port, not graphics !!

As ProForma has a wide range of graphics drivers, including ESC/P, ESC./P2, PCL 3 and PCL 4, it should support nearly every modern printer as far as I know.  Some work may be needed to produce a driver for PCL 5, although this would not be too difficult.

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

Stuck with ordinary dial up internet connection ??
Read our review of internet accelerators and broadband at: