I know the rate that we pay our attendants can vary based on where we live,
but I have a hard time seeing more than $25 an hour being the top end.
Especially just for basic ADLs. If you are paying $30 an hour, I sure hope
your expectation of care is stellar. I mean immaculate care, always on
time, doing things above and beyond the basic or even more than that. I
still pay today starting at $15 an hour. It takes working for me at least
six months before I will bump that up to $20 an hour where I expect
timeliness, thoroughness, and a cheery attitude. If I'm going to go to
$25/hr, they better do things beyond ADLs. Things like vacuuming, mopping,
organizing all of my things without asking.

I think that what you may be feeling is "what would I want to be paid if I
did this job". You really have to get out of this mindset, because there
are many things I asked to be done that personally I probably would not do
it unless it was a direct loved one. Today most starting jobs are $15 an
hour and they are expected to do more work than what we expect for ADLs. I
know it's hard not to feel guilty, especially when they are a nice person
and probably have a family. People who we have even considered family
because of how closely they work with us. I have been through over 300
attendants in my 34 years. While I may have felt very closely to those who
stuck with me through years and invited to family events and worked with
the children. In the end, they were not actually family. They had to move
on and live their lives based on what they needed.

What may help is setting up a bonus plan. Set their pay and a base of $20
an hour and list or just give bonuses each pay period based on stellar or
above the normal work. This would allow you to give a bonus of nothing or
hundreds of dollars if they were especially helpful one pay period.

Hope this helps, your brother in SCI.

Aaron Mann