From: Aaron Mann <aman...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2024 3:41 PM
To: Eric Olson <whee...@wi.rr.com>
Cc: Dana <wraydan...@gmail.com>; Daniel Gove <quadz...@optonline.net>;
quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] CNA rates?

I know the rate that we pay our attendants can vary based on where we live, but
I have a hard time seeing more than $25 an hour being the top end. Especially
just for basic ADLs. If you are paying $30 an hour, I sure hope your
expectation of care is stellar. I mean immaculate care, always on time, doing
things above and beyond the basic or even more than that. I still pay today
starting at $15 an hour. It takes working for me at least six months before I
will bump that up to $20 an hour where I expect timeliness, thoroughness, and a
cheery attitude. If I'm going to go to $25/hr, they better do things beyond
ADLs. Things like vacuuming, mopping, organizing all of my things without
asking.

I think that what you may be feeling is "what would I want to be paid if I did
this job". You really have to get out of this mindset, because there are many
things I asked to be done that personally I probably would not do it unless it
was a direct loved one. Today most starting jobs are $15 an hour and they are
expected to do more work than what we expect for ADLs. I know it's hard not to
feel guilty, especially when they are a nice person and probably have a family.
People who we have even considered family because of how closely they work with
us. I have been through over 300 attendants in my 34 years. While I may have
felt very closely to those who stuck with me through years and invited to
family events and worked with the children. In the end, they were not actually
family. They had to move on and live their lives based on what they needed.

What may help is setting up a bonus plan. Set their pay and a base of $20 an
hour and list or just give bonuses each pay period based on stellar or above
the normal work. This would allow you to give a bonus of nothing or hundreds of
dollars if they were especially helpful one pay period.

Hope this helps, your brother in SCI.

Aaron Mann

On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 1:30 PM Eric Olson <whee...@wi.rr.com