Hi Tal!

First let me say that I deeply appreciate the work that you're putting into
this.  You're doing good things for our community, and that's great!

I put the planet-R stuff together rather hastily a few years ago, as a way
of seeing whether it was of enough use for the community for
it to be something that the R project would want to provide as a standard
service offering.  ;)  At that moment in time, it seemed like a
slightly fringe thing to do, but I think the community has grown into it a
bit now.  There are a *lot* more R-related RSS feeds in the
ecosystem now than there were a couple or three years back.

Another aspect - a couple of years ago, we didn't have decent recommenders
for related feeds from things like Google Reader.  Nowadays,
once google finds an R-related feed, it starts to suggest it to me.  That's
very powerful, and I think the need for a centralized "planet"-style
site is somewhat reduced by it.

I'd strongly suggest that you make your site as community-oriented as
possible, probably by asking folks in the
community (like, say, Romain...) to help you run and administer the thing.
That will make it more like a community project, and
reduce the load on you personally.  I should have done something like that
with the planetr.stderr.org site long ago - as Dirk notes,
my cycle time for responding to mail and notes is a bit slow, and my time
budget for messing about with the site is also pretty amazingly limited.

As you note - there's not really much by way of contact information in the
planetr templates.  They're quite limited and quite unimpressive.  :)  But,
well, the amount of work that was required to get a "working" site up was
also incredibly small for me.

I'd be happy to see you harvest links out of planetr.stderr.org and add them
to your r-bloggers site - some of the links I've collected there are
institutional (journal feeds and the like) and should be possible to add
without any consultation.  For the individual bloggers, I'd suggest
contacting them to get permission to add their feeds - it just seems like
the polite thing to do.

Again, I want to thank you publicly for spending your time on this, and am
happy to see someone taking action to improve communication
and discussion across the R community of users and developers.  This
benefits us all, greatly!

Best, and be well,

--elijah