I had earlier succeeded on a second attempt using

install.packages(pkgs="rms", dependencies = c("Depends", "Imports", "LinkingTo", "Suggests", "Enhances") ) ## i.e the kitchen sink approach

So with the goal of creating an error log, I just now trashed rms, Design, rpart and Hmisc and tried using the Gui installer using a faster connection (Ethernet this time vs. WiFi earlier) and got the appropriate prompt installation of the missing items with "install dependencies" checked.. So I am unable to reproduce the prior problems. I now suspect it was a combination of slow connection and impatience. Apologies.

--
David