Hi Liam and Ted,
  My apologies for not writing sooner.  I've been sick.
  First off, let me thank you both for helping to clarify what the
phylogenetic ANOVA is and what it means.
  I thought I would explain a little more than I did in my initial post
since Ted seemed curious to know more.
  I am using geometric morphometrics to analyze body shape in a family of
freshwater fish (topminnows).  I ran a PCA to "condense" the
morphometric analyses into PC scores.  I'm using the PC scores in the
phylogenetic ANOVA.  Because I would like to know how phylogeny
"effects" habitat-specific differences in body shape, I run the
phylogenetic ANOVAs with the tips being a species-habitat combination.
Essentially, it looks like this:

          |---- Species A Habitat 1

   |------|
   |      |
---|      |---- Species A Habitat 2

   |     |---- Species B Habitat 1
   |     |
   |-----|

         |---- Species B Habitat 2

  The tree for these species was made in Mesquite and based off of a tree
from a recent molecular phylogeny that came out (Whitehead 2010
Evolution paper).  The tree for the phylogenetic ANOVA includes branch
lengths, obviously.  Because I don't know if there is any genetic
distance between the same species from the two different habitats, I set
the branch lengths to a really small value (0.00001) in R.
  All of the 21 species used to run the phylogenetic ANOVA have
populations in both habitats, so in that sense it's "balanced".  Where
the species fall on the tree is pretty scattered, throughout the tree
(the tree contains about 20 more species that I did not include in this
analysis, so I don't know if that matters).  Just visually glancing at
it, there are two main clades in the tree and 14 come from one clade and
7 come from the other clade, so, if anything, I would think they'd be
more "clumped" than overdispersed.  However, I could be wrong.
  I would be happy to share the real tree and my data with anyone who is
interested.

-Daniel

Daniel P Welsh
PhD Student