Dear Daniel,

        OK, then I think your results make sense.  You have, in fact, designed
a comparative study in which the power to detect a statistical effect of
Habitat (i.e., a group difference) will be higher if analyzed phylogenetically
than if analyzed in the conventional fashion assuming a stat phylogeny.  This
point has been made in various places, including:

Garland, T., Jr., A. W. Dickerman, C. M. Janis, and J. A. Jones. 1993.
Phylogenetic analysis of covariance by computer simulation. Systematic Biology
42:265-292.
Vanhooydonck, B., and R. Van Damme. 1999. Evolutionary relationships between
body shape and habitat use in lacertid lizards. Evolutionary Ecology Research
1:785-805.
Garland, T., Jr. 2001. Phylogenetic comparison and artificial selection: two
approaches in evolutionary physiology. Pages 107-132 in R. C. Roach, P. D.
Wagner, and P. H. Hackett, eds. Hypoxia: From Genes to the Bedside. Advances in
Experimental Biology and Medicine, volume 502. Kluwer Academic/Plenum
Publishers, New York.

        In addition, you have made the within-species (and hence between
habitat) branch lengths arbitrarily very short relative to the among-species
branches in the rest f your tree.  Hence, if you do have a Habitat effect, it
would be very unlikely to have occurred via Brownian motion character
evolution.  So, you phylogenetic P values becomes (much) lower than your
non-phylogenetic P value.

        As a reality check, I would run your analyses on a star phylogeny (a
giant hard polytomy) and see if you get P values that are the same (actually,
just very close to unless you do a lot of simulations) as for a nonphylogenetic
analysis.

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr.
Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Wet Lab Phone:  (951) 827-5724
Dry Lab Phone:  (951) 827-4026
Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu

Main Departmental page:
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html

List of all Publications: