> But can you explain to me what is the rationale behind this? There are
> only 47 nodes and 54 tips. How can the nodes from 55 to 47 than be
> rotated?

Liam's code is rotating nodes 55+(1:47), rather than 55 to 47. The internal
node indexing in ape's phylo class starts with "number of tips plus 1". Thus,
using rotate on nodes starting with length(phy$tip.label) + 1 means it is
starting with node 56 (the root node) and going through length(phy$tip.label) +
phy$Nnode, e.g.,, all internal nodes. You can see that

55+(1:47)

gives a vector of node numbers that is not the same as 55 to 47.

If it isn't working right - maybe it is that you have polytomies? I think you
should have n-1 internal nodes (53 in your case). Try multi2di (from ape) for
polytomy resolution and see if it works as desired.

~Dan Rabosky