Dan is right on - and I also suspect that the issue of the non-rotating node is probably due to a polytomy at that node.

Thanks for the insight Dan.

- Liam

--
Liam J. Revell
University of Massachusetts Boston

On 3/17/2011 12:26 PM, Dan Rabosky wrote:

But can you explain to me what is the rationale behind this? There are
only 47 nodes and 54 tips. How can the nodes from 55 to 47 than be
rotated?

Liam's code is rotating nodes 55+(1:47), rather than 55 to 47. The internal node indexing
in ape's phylo class starts with "number of tips plus 1". Thus, using rotate on
nodes starting with length(phy$tip.label) + 1 means it is starting with node 56 (the root
node) and going through length(phy$tip.label) + phy$Nnode, e.g.,, all internal nodes. You
can see that

55+(1:47)

gives a vector of node numbers that is not the same as 55 to 47.

If it isn't working right - maybe it is that you have polytomies? I think you
should have n-1 internal nodes (53 in your case). Try multi2di (from ape) for
polytomy resolution and see if it works as desired.

~Dan Rabosky

Kind regards,

Thierry

Thierry Janssens