Hi Nic,

It's not a problem with the branch lengths, at least not the non-ultrametricity
of the tree. It's probably that the lower bound on the exponential change
parameter is too low, resulting in a singular phylogenetic variance covariance
matrix. Try changing the lower bound as follows:

eb.fit <- fitContinuous(phy, data, model  ="EB", bounds = list(a=c(X, 0))) #
where X is the lower bound you chose.

You can compute an appropriate value for X if you're willing to choose a
minimum rate for the end of the EB process. In this case, the lower bound would
be log(min.rate) / T where T is the depth of your tree and min.rate is the
ending rate. I've found a value of 10^-5 is reasonable in most cases.

Graham
Graham Slater
Peter Buck Post-Doctoral Fellow
Department of Paleobiology
National Museum of Natural History
The Smithsonian Institution [NHB, MRC 121]
P.O. Box 37012
Washington DC 20013-7012

slat...@si.edu
www.eeb.ucla.edu/gslater