Yeah, I was concerned it might have been related to a zero-branch-length
problem, but some simulation shows that only Graham's fix will let
fitContinuous run with a simulated paleo-tree.
-Dave

library(paleotree)
library(geiger)
taxa<-simFossilTaxa_SRCond(avgtaxa=30,p=0.1,q=0.1,r=0.1)
rangesCont<-sampleRanges(taxa,r=0.1)
cladogram<-taxa2cladogram(taxa)
#get the true tree at the first appearance times
trueTree<-taxa2phylo(taxa,obs_time=rangesCont[,1])
trait<-rTraitCont(trueTree)

#no solution
fitContinuous(trueTree,trait,model="EB")     #nope
#my solution
fitContinuous(addTermBranchLength(trueTree),trait,model="EB")     #nope
#Graham's solution
fitContinuous(trueTree,trait,model="EB",bounds=list(alpha=c(0,1)))     #yep