Just to confirm that Graham's fix works.

Using the following libraries (and their dependencies) I conducted the
simulations:

library(TreeSim)
library(phytools)
 sim.bd.taxa(30,1,lambda=0.1,mu=0.05)[[1]][[1]]->tree
fastBM(tree)->data

fitContinuous(tree,data,model="EB")
Fitting  EB model:
Error in solve.default(phyvcv) :
  Lapack routine dgesv: system is exactly singular
###This now works with a parameterized alpha (below)...not sure how
good the estimates are (they were simulated under ###BM after all)

fitContinuous(tree,data,model="EB", bounds=list(alpha=c(0,1)))
Fitting  EB model:
$Trait1
$Trait1$lnl
[1] -264.4297

$Trait1$beta
[1] 0.8355526

$Trait1$a
[1] 0.001813503

$Trait1$aic
[1] 534.8593

$Trait1$aicc
[1] 535.1042

$Trait1$k
[1] 3

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM, David Bapst <dwba...@uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Nicolas,
> Not certain how you are time-scaling your tree, but I often get warnings of
> singularity from various comparative analysis functions due to the presence
> of very short terminal branches. I have found that such warnings of
> singularity when dealing with paleo-trees can often be avoided by adding a
> very small amount to all the terminal branch lengths, say 0.001. This is
> very simple to do with a few lines of code; alternatively, the function
> addTermBranchLength() in the library paleotree does this automatically if a
> tree is passed to it.
>
> Also, I would advice you to consider multiple methods for time-scaling your
> tree of fossil taxa and compare results across those trees, if you are not
> doing so already. In practice, I find one can sometimes give very different
> results for some comparative analyses with different time-scaling methods
> on the same paleontological dataset.
> -Dave
>

> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Nicolas Campione <
> nicolas.campi...@mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
>> Dear R Phylo List,
>>
>> I'm trying to test an Early Burst model of evolution against a tree using
>> the 'fitContinuous' function in 'geiger'. However, I get the following
>> error message, and am unsure as to what I can do to fix this:
>>
>> > fitContinuous(tree,trait,model="EB")
>>
>> Fitting  EB model:
>> Error in solve.default(phyvcv) :
>>   Lapack routine dgesv: system is exactly singular: U[4,4] = 0
>>
>> My tree is based on fossil taxa and my branch lengths are calculated using
>> time (in millions of years). I seem to be able to test every other model,
>> only EB is giving me troubles. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with
>> the branch lengths, cause if I used other measures, such as all=1 or
>> grafen, I don't get an error.
>>
>> Has anybody had this issue before?
>>
>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -Nic-
>>
>> ----
>> Nicolás E. Campione