Hi Peter.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but Felsenstein (2005, 2012) has a method for estimating the correlation between discrete characters or a discrete and a continuous character in which the discrete trait is modeled using the threshold model from quantitative genetics. There is a stand-alone program for this called Threshml (http://evolution.gs.washington.edu/phylip/download/threshml/). I have a Bayesian MCMC version in the phytools package called threshBayes (http://blog.phytools.org/search?q=threshBayes). So far, threshBayes only allows binary discrete characters & two traits; Threshml can analyze more than two traits - but I believe is still limited to binary discrete characters. Please let me know if it would be helpful to your research to extend threshBayes to allow for multistate (ordered, naturally) discrete characters.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org