Thanks for clarifying this, Joe.

My function for ancestral character estimation under the threshold model (ancThresh) allows multistate data - but the order of the states along the liability axis needs to be specified a priori by the user.** The relative positions of the thresholds are sampled (along with the liabilities of tips & nodes) from their joint posterior probability distribution using MCMC. This method is still undergoing peer review, but it seems to work fairly well in simulations - so this also might be a viable approach for estimating the correlation between multistate threshold characters.

(**In my manuscript about ancThresh I suggest that an information criterion like DIC could be used to identify the correct order - but a single true order must exist.)

As for unordered multistate characters, I'm not sure how the threshold model could be used. Several people have made suggestions about this to me but I'm not sure I understand them.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org