It's possible that Mesquite (and within R) that discrete traits may be
interpreted by the software as continuous, depending on how they're stored
-- so it could do a reconstruction of a character with tip states of 0, 1,
and 2 and get ancestral values of 0.1, 1.75, etc. using squared change
parsimony or the equivalent. This isn't something one should do (for one
thing, if the trait is unordered, the ancestor of a clade with taxa in
state 0 and 2 having a state of 1 doesn't make sense) but it is possible
someone could run squared change parsimony on discrete traits if the
software mistakenly treats them as continuous.

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara, http://www.brianomeara.info, especially Calendar
<http://brianomeara.info/calendars/omeara/>, CV
<http://brianomeara.info/cv/>, and Feedback
<http://brianomeara.info/teaching/feedback/>

Associate Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville