You could also map your states (in this case, taxonomic groupings) onto
your tree, then make an ltt plot with phytools::ltt(). Liam has a great
blog post about it here:
http://blog.phytools.org/2022/08/lineage-through-time-plots-for.html.

Best,
Will

*William Gearty*
*Lerner-Gray Postdoctoral Research Fellow*
Division of Paleontology
American Museum of Natural History
williamgearty.com