I like Will's suggestion. Unfortunately, /phytools::ltt.simmap/ method
in /phytools/ on CRAN does not support ultrametric trees.

I have updated it on GitHub & also posted a workflow to my blog that may
capture what Russell is going for (if I understand it correctly):
http://blog.phytools.org/2023/10/visualizing-lineage-accumulation-on.html.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell
Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts Boston
Web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
Book: Phylogenetic Comparative Methods in R
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/phylogenetic-comparative-methods-in-r>
(/Princeton University Press/, 2022)