Philip,

These are good questions. Some of them may not have answers at this
moment in time, and for sure I cannot answer them all. But maybe I can
give some background information, and then I'll tackle some specifics
within your message. But I do hope that others chime in, especially if I
get anything wrong.

The basic framework that is being considered is this (and I'm going to
give it somewhat backwards because it might make more sense that way):

The library cataloging rules (of any stripe) are instructions on how to
make decisions about a group of data elements (title, author, series,
etc.). In AACR and RDA (currently), those data elements are not defined
separately from the rules themselves. So we have a single document that
has the rules for the library community as well as its data elements,
although it takes some work to pull the data elements out of the text.

Because our cataloging data will need to be expressed in a
machine-readable form, and because it should be defined in such a way to
be compatible with Web applications, we need to formalize the data
elements. This means that rather than having the data elements just
assumed in the textual guidance, they need to be defined in themselves
in a usable way. Deciding on that usable way, however, means making
certain decisions. One of those decisions is the abstract framework,
something that most of us mere mortals will never encounter. It's the
basic structure that will be used to define the data, in the way that
there are structures like IP packages that define the basis for the
Internet. The abstract framework is important because if it is followed
then we have a guarantee that the data we create can be understood by
programs because it has certain characteristics, in the same way that
Internet applications know what to do with a packet. The data elements
are then created in conformance with the abstract framework.

The application profile is a particular community's selection of data
elements and rules. So if you can imagine that we have defined a fairly
large number of data elements that can be used for bibliographic
applications, but not all bibliographic applications will be interested
in all of them. So the application profile says: I'm ProfileX and I will
use: data1, data78, data42. Another profile can make a different
selection. Profiles are not records, they are a statement of all of the
data elements that a community will use in its records.

So if we combined all of the data elements from all of the bibliographic
applications, like MARC21, UNIMARC, Dublin Core, DACS, EAD, etc., and
put those in a registry, then the MARC21 community would define itself
as being a set of data elements, and EAD would define itself as a
different set. But where the data elements they choose are the same,
they are then using the very same data element. Or, if they differ, it
may be possible to know how they differ if the basic data elements have
been created with some semantic relationships, like "uniform title is a
kind of title."

Therefore, what it comes down to is we need four things to have a
bibliographic application:

- an abstract model
- formally defined data elements
- an application profile
- implementation guidance

I'm sure this isn't a complete explanation, but I'm happy to work with
you (all) on it, since I think we need an explanation that is a) correct
and b) understandable by most.

now...

Philip Davis wrote:

  Why is it necessary to develop a separate application profile when DC already
has a model, schemas, a user guide and encoding guidelines?

Does the above explanation help you answer this? It seems like your use
of "application profile" wasn't the same as what I described. However,
it IS quite possible that the DC abstract model will be usable for RDA
-- that's partly what needs to be tested by trying to create the RDA
vocabularies.

  How will the present unfinished state of RDA, FRBR and FRAD affect the
proposed developments?

I don't think anyone knows. The folks working on RDA have produced a
data element list
(http://www.collectionscanada.ca/jsc/docs/5rda-elementanalysis.pdf) so
they appear to have an idea of what the data elements are. FRBR and FRAD
are bigger questions, I think. There are a few attempts to actually code
FRBR - one as RDF and one as object-oriented - but it isn't clear if
FRBR actually translates into something machine-usable in the sense of
being able to code it.

  What changes will be sought to these standards in order to maximize the
quality of the vocabularies and application profile?

That's partly what will be learned by going through the process. If
anyone has already formed some ideas about needed changes, I'd be very
interested to hear them.

  RDA contains many terms of use in a metadata schema. Will other systems be
consulted in the preparation and organization of the vocabularies? I think
particularly of the faceted classification that was prepared for use with
Library Science Abstracts.

I don't understand this question. It may be about the various vocabulary
lists (physical types, agent roles, the terms for pages and parts). I
feel strongly that vocabulary lists should be defined outside of any
particular standard so that they can be shared where appropriate. So I
would like to see many different communities creating their lists (for
which we will need an agreed standard format) because I think it will,
in the long run, promote data sharing.

  In terms of a metadata system, AACR would be seen as essentially the user
guide element. RDA is intended to replace AACR. Will the role of RDA be
extended to include other parts of the system? Will it be reduced to confine
RDA to being a user guide?

Again, I'm not sure I understand the question, but the instructions in
RDA are indeed a kind of user guide.

  An important principle of Dublin Core is the one-to-one principle. The record
(metadata description set) covers one manifestation of a resource. How will the
projected system deal with the other RDA/FRBR group one entities of work,
expression and item?

That's really a record creation question. And one for which I don't
think there is an answer. We do not currently have a "FRBR-structured"
bibliographic record and RDA appears to be guiding us to a record that
is, in the one-to-one sense, equivalent to the record that was created
under AACR. Someone more familiar with DC should describe the
complexities of one-to-one .

  It is still planned to publish RDA in 2009. Is this likely to be in a
conventional version, or is it possible that the metadata form will be ready by
then? Am I right in thinking that, when the metadata form becomes available,
the conventional form will be withdrawn?

The RDA scheduled for 2009 is still supposed to be a "web-based product"
as well as a print product. (I know that there was a bid out for the
creation of the web-based product, but I haven't seen any specifications
that would explain better what form that product will take.) The
creation of the metadata form should *enhance* these products, but does
not by any means supplant them. At this point it isn't known if the
metadata form will have any direct effect on those products, and most
likely will not in 2009. It could make it easier in the future to create
applications for bibliographic data, and it really should make it easier
to update the standard and related applications (without having to wait
years for a new version to be published). I personally am hoping that it
will help us *truly* implement RDA as an application (because I don't
think we can do that with MARC21, but that's my opinion).

Well, that's a lot, but I really appreciate the set of questions you
gathered -- I think they thoroughly covered the topic!

Thanks,
kc

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net