Karen said:

>Greta, some time could be saved by embracing identifiers. Rather than
>seeing identifiers as something you input, you could see them as sources
>of information. For example, there is no reason for anyone to have to
>key a publisher name for a modern book with an ISBN --

The ISBN can not be trusted.  Publishers often assign the same number
to different titles, and to different reprints of the same title.  The
form of the publisher's name on the item (needed for identification of
the item) often differs from the legal/website form of the publisher's
name.

It seems to me basic that a bibliographic record should accurately
reflect the item it describes, not just approximate it.

If the ISBN can be a live link to the publisher's website, wonderful.
But the ISBN is not a trustworthy identifier of either the item, or
the form of the publisher's name on the item.

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([EMAIL PROTECTED])