"there is no reason for anyone to have to key a publisher name for a modern
book with an ISBN -- the identity of the publisher is inherent in the ISBN and
that information could be system supplied (using a barcode scanner)"

Is this true of very small publishers who buy their ISBNs in tiny blocks--like
10 or so at a time? If so, great, but that seems like it would require an awful
lot of work by Bowker Of course more power to them if they do it. And what
about ISBNs that are resold? (If one's answer is unawareness that this happens,
then we're back to square one on this question, aren't we?)

"Many people were quite affronted when the Future of Bibliographic Control
report suggested getting as much data as possible from the publishers. There is
data that they obviously have and presumably could pass on. And a simple
identifier like the ISBN is actually a window to a whole host of information
that could be used to populate a bibliographic record."

As one of the many who were affronted--although I prefer to describe the
phenomenon as being baffled by why anybody would think most publishers would be
interested in or capable of providing much information of a quality and in a
form that could be easily used for bibliographic control--I'm not convinced.
Whenever the chestnut that publishers are just waiting impatiently to
particpate in cataloging comes up, I and the rest of the affronted masses ask
who has successfully explored this rich source of untapped information with a
publisher and gotten positive results? I keep a list of the publishers who
erroneously claim that LC CIP is available for their books when it isn't, and
the list is very long and getting longer. If publishers can't get this right
(or knowingly lie about it) and can't--or won't--get publishing dates or
locations right, why do we keep trying to tell ourselves that they have
anything approaching "a whole host of information that could be used to
populate !
a bibliographic record" and that they would provide it in a useable and
reliable form? Publishers have trouble telling LC (or providers of P-CIP) who
their authors are going to be for specific titles and whether these authors
have published in the past. I'd feel a lot more sanguine about this strategy if
someone would relate their positive experiences in getting such useful
information from publishers. And it'd be nice if some of the cooperative
publishers were of the more-than-ten-titles-per-year variety. At QBI we have a
great deal of experience in getting--or trying to get--information from
publishers, and very little reason to suspect this is a workable idea. And we
provide the incentive that we're selling their books!

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]