-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle

> [John Attig] Regarding Karen's second paragraph above, I believe that the
> person
> entity is intended to be universal, but the attributes (particularly
> name usage) do reflect information taken from particular manifestations.

[Karen Coyle] Attributes of the person entity? How would you connect that
information
to the particular manifestations they are taken from? Basically, how
would you say that for this work, the author was affiliated with
Harvard, whereas for another work, the author was affiliated with
Stanford? Would that be in the person record or the work record?

[Bob Maxwell] No, I would say that the person entity record would have as
attributes that person X was affiliated with Harvard at a particular time, and
affiliated with Stanford at a particular time. I wouldn't say that "for this
work author affiliated with such and such an institution" would be an attribute
of the person entity, though we might get evidence for the time spans of
attributes listing affiliations from information we glean from certain works
(or manifestations, etc.). So the person entity record might well have a place
to record the evidence for the attributes (indeed, I certainly hope there will
be such a place), but the evidence itself is not in my opinion an attribute of
the person entity.